It is definitely cold out there these days, as the temperature hovers just above zero. Life in Fall is absolutely in full swing, and the colours on the trees prove the point! When considering dinner, we will naturally gravitate to something warm in our bellies that will give us the feeling of big hugs from the inside. So, what will we decide on to eat tonight? Easy. How about a hearty soup with robust flavours in every scrumptious bite? Sounds like a plan! Let’s take a look:
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
2 bell peppers, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
1 15-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup shredded Monterey jack
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 small corn tortillas, cut into strips
Sliced avocado, for serving
Sour cream, for serving
Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large slow cooker, combine chicken, black beans, corn, peppers, onion, fire-roasted tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low until chicken is cooked and falling apart, 5 to 6 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork, then top soup with Monterey Jack and cover to let melt, 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, make tortilla crisps: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add tortilla strips and cook until crispy and golden, 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt.
- Serve soup topped with tortilla crisps, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and lime.
*Recipe taken from delish.com
Of course we can always substitute the chicken for tofu, or maybe you could simply leave it out. I bet that the taste will still be amazing, regardless! Go with soup tonight, and I promise you won’t regret the thought. Until next time, happy Tuesday everyone!