It is “Taco Tuesday” everyone! We are shaking up a regular weeknight with a little Mexican flavour for your palette. I recommend a good fish taco to break away from the chicken you will probably eat 2-3 times this week, making your protein diet more complete. Make sure you go all the way with some fresh coleslaw and a pinch of fresh cilantro that is guaranteed to bring colour and life to your meal. You could also skip the deep fryer and opt for the frying pan instead, in order to deep fry your fish. Give the fish 3-5 minutes on a low to medium temperature on either side, until the fish is golden brown on the outside, and tender on the inside. This recipe can be found on Allrecipes.com, and it is delicious! Enjoy your dinner tonight, amigos! Happy Tuesday everyone!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup beer
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced capers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 quart oil for frying
- 1 pound cod fillets, cut into 2 to 3 ounce portions
- 1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, finely shredded
- To make beer batter: In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Blend egg and beer, then quickly stir into the flour mixture (don’t worry about a few lumps).
- To make white sauce: In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and mayonnaise. Gradually stir in fresh lime juice until consistency is slightly runny. Season with jalapeno, capers, oregano, cumin, dill, and cayenne.
- Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Dust fish pieces lightly with flour. Dip into beer batter, and fry until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Lightly fry tortillas; not too crisp. To serve, place fried fish in a tortilla, and top with shredded cabbage, and white sauce.